Michael Gallagher was born in Los Angeles, California, in 1945. He studied at Yale University School of Art & Architecture in New Haven, Connecticut, where he received a Master of Fine Arts in 1970. He was awarded Yale University’s Eli Harwood Schless Memorial Award for Drawing & Painting.
While there he had the good fortune to study with Jack Tworkov, Josef Albers, Robert Motherwell, Walker Evans, William Baily, Barbara Rose, and Al Held. Their methodologies and professorial passion inspired and instilled in him a lifelong love of art and teaching.
He also studied at the University of Southern California (USC) in Los Angeles, California, where he received a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1968. He studied with Edgar Ewing and Keith Crown.
Additionally, he attended the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), where he studied with David Hockney, Alfred Leslie, Irving Petlin, and Tony Berlant.
His undergraduate studies included a fellowship to Yale University’s Summer School of Music and Art in Norfolk, Connecticut, where he studied with George Wardlaw, Knox Martin, Robert Mangold, Robert Motherwell, Helen Frankenthaler, and Walker Evans.
Mr. Gallagher lives and works in Orange County, California.
Mr. Gallagher’s work is exhibited nationally and internationally. His paintings are in numerous public collections, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, NY), Guggenheim Museum (New York, NY), Jewish Museum (New York, NY), Smithsonian American Art Museum (Washington DC), The Byer Museum of the Arts (Evanston, IL), The Edwin Ulrich Museum (Wichita, KA), The Frederick Weisman Foundation (Beverly Hills, CA), The Wharton School of Business (Philadelphia, PA), The Johnson Museum of Art, Cornell University, (Ithaca, New York), Union College Permanent Collection, (Schenectady, NY).
- Los Angeles, California, 1945
- 1970 Yale University School of Art & Architecture, New Haven, Connecticut, MFA.
- 1968 University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, BFA.
- 1967 Yale University, Norfolk, Connecticut, Fellowship
AWARDS AND HONORS:
- 1970 Eli Harwood Schless Memorial Award for Drawing & Painting, Yale University School of Art & Architecture
- 1968 Yale University School of Art & Architecture, Scholarship
- 1967 University of Southern California Scholarship
- 1966 Yale University School of Art & Architecture, Fellowship